Navigation Bar

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Southwestern Layer Bake

Last night was another late night painting blocks, but we did manage to get them all done.  We were only up until a little after 11:30 p.m.!!  Yeah!!  So as predicted, there was no time for posting.

Didn't get a chance to post this morning because I had to be up and out of the house early to get to the grocery store.  Since it's St. Patrick's Day I have an awful lot to do for tonight's festivities.  As we speak, I am eating lunch with the kids, holding a squirmy little Irish looking lad on my lap and typing one handed all at the same time.  Probably the only chance I'll get until later tonight.  Hooray for multitasking!!

Last night I had a meeting to attend with Tyler to see if he is interested in joining band next year in middle school.  I can't believe I'm going to have a middle schooler next year....WOW!  He showed some interest in possibly the bells (aka the small xylophone and I explained this was percussion and he would have to learn other things like the drums...he was okay with this).  We signed him up for a time to go look at the other instruments to see which was the best fit for him, if any.  Music is a requirement in 6th grade, so if band isn't for him he has the other choices of strings (he already said no to this which makes me say YES!!!!) or just a general music class.  Early prediction from Mom shows a good chance of general music class in the near future.  We'll see.

So, because of this meeting it was kind of a throw together whatever I could find type of night as I didn't have a whole lot of time for food prep or cooking.  I had a lot of leftover corn in the fridge and some corn tortillas that were never used and about to expire.  I've also had some frozen ground chicken in the freezer for some time that needed to be used or the poor little chicken who gave his life would end up a tad bit freezer burned.  We couldn't have his fate be that.  Instead, he was destined to become Southwestern Layer Bake.  RIP Mr. Chicky...you were yummy and I am thankful for your sacrifice!! 

Southwestern Layer Bake

1 lb ground chicken
1 packet taco seasoning (I like McCormick brand because there is no evil MSG in it)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 can corn, drained
8 small corn tortillas (flour or whole wheat ones would work too)
Shredded cheese
Tortilla chips, crushed
Lettuce and sour cream for serving


Brown the chicken in a pan.  I didn't need to drain it because it was very lean.  If you use beef or another fatty meat you will need to drain the grease.

Add the seasoning packet and mix well.  I did not add the water specified on the back of the package.

Black beans, tomatoes and corn.

Add all to the pan, stir well and heat through over medium heat.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Spray a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and place 4 of the corn tortillas in a single layer on the bottom.

Add 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top of the tortilla layer.

Cover with cheese.

Repeat the layering process 1 more time with remaining 4 tortillas, then 1/2 chicken mixture and lastly cheese.  Top with crushed tortilla chips.

Normally I would bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 mins, but since I was already in the middle of baking something else at 325 degrees, I let it sit in the oven for around 35 mins.  No biggie...the chips just didn't get as crispy as normal, but still tasted the same! 

Serve with lettuce and sour cream on the side.  I used a little leftover salad from last night (I'm not kidding...I really do save EVERYTHING) which is why you see a few tomatoes and pieces of cheese amongst the lettuce. 

5 comments:

  1. I've made this before! I added green chiles to mine. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a throw together meal so I had no green chiles to add. That would have been a nice addition though!! Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather late post, but try Penzey's taco seasoning. Easily the tastiest. Just don't let Heidi eat any if you use the bold version. You won't like the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dare I ask what the results are??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seasoned ground beef on the floor. Apparently she's not used to any spice anymore. (Let's hope her memory's going to or she'll kill me in a few weeks. =P) I don't consider it too spicy. I still have a goodly amount. Maybe I'll pawn it off on you as I zip through Ohio. =)

    ReplyDelete