Navigation Bar

Monday, March 14, 2011

"Buttermilk" Biscuits & Sausage Gravy

When I was looking through the fridge this morning wondering what I was going to make after my 2 day "vacation" from cooking (since my monthly menu has gotten a bit messed up) I realized I had almost a dozen eggs that were about to expire and a pound of sausage that I didn't get to use on Saturday.  So my first thought was buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy and scrambled eggs.  Only a few problems. 1) No biscuits 2) No buttermilk 3)I have never made biscuits in my life and am frankly a bit scared to.  I started looking for a good biscuit recipe on allrecipes.com and found one with a high star rating.  It did say to store the dough in the refrigerator overnight, but since I was starting the dough at 10:00 am, that would give my dough 7 hours to sit in the fridge which is technically more than I sleep on one given night.  Recipe acquired....check!  I put my biscuit making fear aside and harnessed my inner southern gal.  Time to get my biscuit on!!  YeeeeeeeeHaaaaw!

Buttermilk Biscuits

4 c self rising flour - I have no self-rising flour, but you can make your own by adding 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt to regular all-purpose flour.  So I added 6 tsp baking powder and 2 tsp salt.  Crisis averted!
2/3 c cold butter
2 c. buttermilk - I have no buttermilk, but you can make your own substitute by adding 1 tsp white vinegar to 1 cup milk and letting it stand for 5 mins.  Second crisis averted.  Nothing will stand in my way of biscuits!!

Sausage Gravy
1/4 c butter
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 c milk
1/2 lb sausage


Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.  Obviously if you are using self rising you only sift the flour.
Cut in the cold butter with a fork until well incorporated.  This step does take some time and I ended up using my hands at the end.
Add the "buttermilk" or buttermilk and mix with a fork until you have a soft dough.
Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 20 times.  I didn't actually count so I may have kneaded anywhere between 15 and 25 times.  I wouldn't think this would make much of a difference though.  I did notice my dough was pretty sticky because I didn't use real buttermilk (real buttermilk is MUCH thicker).  I had to add maybe another 1/4 cup until it stopped sticking to my hands and I really got to knead it correctly.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight (aka all day long for me).
Once dough is ready, turn back out onto a floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin (aka large plastic yellow cup) to about a 1 inch thickness.
This picture shows how hard my Assistant Chef had to work!!  And she doesn't even get paid!!
Apparently baking biscuits is fun because Tyler even made a rare cameo appearance to help today!
Assistant Chef and Senior Assistant Chef hard at work.
Once rolled out, use a floured biscuit cutter (aka disassembled uncrustable maker) to cut out the biscuits.
Continue to re-roll out the dough until you have none left!  It helps to keep coating the biscuit cutter in flour to prevent sticking.
Place biscuit on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Let rest for 5 mins before baking in a 425 degree oven for 12 - 15 mins.  I baked them 10 mins. then took them out, brushed to tops with melted butter and baked for another 5 mins.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour, salt and pepper and stir constantly until browned (about 5-10 mins). 
Whisk in milk until smooth and continue stirring until desired thickness is obtained.
Stir in browned sausage and remove from heat.
Brenna is getting pretty good at cracking eggs!
Finished biscuits!  Yummy!  I don't know why I was so afraid of making biscuits.  They were so easy and delicious.  I will most likely never again buy the nasty refrigerated kind!!
"Buttermilk" Biscuits with Sausage Gravy, Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce I made and canned this past October.
Yummy Biscuits!

6 comments:

  1. Your inner southern gal? Southern Californian, yeah...

    First, I want to say that I'm pretty impressed by your posts. Good photos and easy to read/follow.

    Second, I had a few questions/comments.
    1) Did the roux work well? I typically use equal volume measurements of fat and flour and I notice you had more flour. Any issues at all? The photo looks fine.
    2) Since you're making sausage gravy, you can also use the sausage drippings in place of butter. I like to use the drippings and then add melted butter as necessary to get the right amount of fat for the flour. It makes the gravy even more sausagy.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim! Welcome to my blog! =)

    1) I didn't seem to have any problem with the roux even though my fat to flour ratio wasn't equal. The only noticeable difference was that it was thicker than the roux that I made for the Mardi Gras gumbo which I believe had an equal amount of both. I did have to stir it a little faster to keep it from sticking to the pan. The gravy ended up really thick...I'll probably have to thin down the leftovers with a little milk.

    2)As far as making the gravy more "sausagy"...I wouldn't need to do that. My kids aren't huge meat fans (thus only the use of the 1/2 pound sausage-they would have really been happy with 1/4 lb or even none at all!!). Something scares me about using grease from the browned meat. It just seems so unhealthy, but then again I guess butter isn't really all that healthy for you in the first place. I don't think I could ever bring myself to put both in a recipe. I love my heart too much to put it through THAT much abuse in one meal!! What WOULD have made the gravy better would have been the use of some of the fresh sausage you made, but unfortunately, as with most people I know, you live like 10 states away. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, by harnessing my inner Southern gal, I meant pretending to be Paula Deen. It made making biscuits much more fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The biscuits and gravy look super good. That is my favorite breakfast food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a meataholic, I can't condone using less meat, especially when it's pork. I have to second what Jen said, though. That meal does look awesome. I got hooked on biscuits and gravy when working mornings at Beef 'N Bun and you know that stuff wasn't anywhere near as good as real biscuits and gravy.

    So how are you so good about taking photos while you're cooking? I've tried a few times and... ugh. It's hard to stop and think "oh! good time for photo!" I wanted to start documenting some of my experiments way back when you started tossing canning photos onto Facebook, but my attempts at photodocumentation so far are pretty bad. We need a behind the scenes blog post now. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen-Thanks! They tasted really good. Took some time, but was so worth it!
    Jim-Beef N Bun biscuits and gravy were awesome! Even if they weren't "Real" they were very tasty! I loved all their food! I'll def be hitting them up in June when I go home. I'm going to have to schedule an intervention on behalf of your heart though. Try attending a meataholics annonomyous meeting sometime please! I don't really find photographing and cooking to be extremely difficult. It's just multitasking at it's finest. I guess that comes with having 4 kids. Plus I have been cooking for so long it's pretty easy to know when I can stop and snap a picture and when I can't.

    ReplyDelete