Navigation Bar

Friday, March 18, 2011

Baba Ghanoush with Baked Whole Wheat Pita Chips

Last week I bought 3 eggplants to try making one of the recipes Brenna had picked out of my Rachel Ray recipes.  I was planning on making it for a get together with friends on Saturday night, but unfortunately sickness hit my house for a few days and I never got to make it.  A few days later, I decided to try and make it anyway before the eggplant went bad.

Baba Ghanoush is an Arab dish popular in various countries in the Middle East.  Apparently it's popular in Egypt and Levant served as either a starter or a side dish and is served with pita bread.  I now have so many leftovers in my fridge that I decided I would eat some baba ghanoush for dinner rather than the spaghetti, meatballs and broccoli everyone else ate.

It looks a little scary, but it is actually quite tasty so you have to be slightly daring and have an open mind.  You are supposed to serve it warmed with more lemon juice to taste and drizzled with olive oil.  I just opted to reheat some in the microwave and skip the extra lemon juice and oil.  The first day I ate it, I wasn't quite sure I liked it.  The second and third time it really grew on me and I am quite fond of it now...especially the seasoned pita chips!!  Plus it's really very healthy and filling.  If you like the flavor of hummus you'll probably like this...although the texture is much smoother than hummus.  Brenna and Tyler didn't like it, but Aiden thought it was good.  I'll definitely make it again another time.

Baba Ghanoush:

3 medium eggplants, about 1 lb. each
1 c flat leaf-parsley leaves
1/4 c fresh lemon juice (I got this from 1 lemon) plus more for seasoning
1/4 c tahini (this is a sesame seed paste)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Prick the eggplants all over with a fork and place on a foil lined baking sheet.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes, flipping once during baking. 

Let the eggplants cool at least 30 mins and then remove the stems and skin.  Cut the eggplant flesh into large pieces and place them in a colander to drain any excess moisture.  Transfer the eggplant pieces to a food processor.

Add parsley leaves, lemon juice, tahini, chopped garlic, and 2 tbs olive oil to the food processor.

Tahini, extra-virgin olive oil, flat-leaf parsley and lemon.

Puree until smooth and then season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice to taste.  I didn't add any extra lemon juice.  Place in a bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.  Serve with the following baked pita chips.

Baked Seasoned Whole Wheat Pita Chips:

1 whole wheat pita per person, cut into wedges
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cumin
Cut whole wheat pita into 8 wedges.

Place wedges into a bowl and toss in olive oil.  Transfer to a foil lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with seasoning and bake at 350 degrees until pita wedges are toasted and crispy, about 10-12 mins. 

Use pita wedges to scoop up baba ghanoush and enjoy your new ethnic treat!  Yummy!!

2 comments:

  1. *tip for seasoning pitas: mix olive oil with seasonings, then use a pastry brush to spread evenly.

    I love eggplant. I like the flavor of hummus, but I've never been a fan of the grainy texture, so I might like this. Too bad I couldn't try it at the game night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I have done that before, but with this particular dish, I really liked the flavor of the spices when sprinkled on vs mixed into the oil.

    If you like eggplant, I think you would really like this. It was definately something that grew on me. I'll be making it again.

    ReplyDelete