Navigation Bar

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Meatloaf

I think meatloaf may quite possibly be one of the most misunderstood foods in the world.  Kids grow up fearing the very word and run screaming the other way when hearing that is what will be on their dinner plate that night.  I think my Mom may have made meatloaf once or twice growing up and I remember it being really dry. Almost like a baked brick of ground beef slathered in some plain ketchup to attempt to give it come type of moisture.  Just the thought of the word "meatloaf" generally makes people think of the lunch lady with the hair net in the cafeteria dishing up a plate full of mystery meat. 

Well let me tell you, my kids LOVE my meatloaf.  My 10 year old decided one night over a plate full of it that he would be living with us for the rest of his life so he could always eat my meatloaf.  I told him that most wives don't want to live in their mother-in-law's basement.  He then settled for moving down the street and living in our RV in the Wal-Mart parking lot so he could continue to come home for dinner.  Nice!  I guess at least he would have free rent...although I'm not sure what condition our RV will be in 8 years from now!  I'm personally hoping he picks the college alternative vs. Wal-Mart living.  I'll give him the meatloaf recipe as his high school graduation gift!

I have been making meatloaf like this for some time now so honestly I can't remember exactly where I got the recipe from.  Usually I will make 2 different kinds of meatloaf.  This standard one for my kids and husband and a new different one for me to try and freeze the leftovers.  The last one I tried basically turned into a veggie loaf with turkey holding it together.  It also had couscous in it...VERY tasty and VERY moist.  I have some in the freezer still, so I'll post a picture the next time I defrost it for lunch.

It is so quick to make, if your ground beef is already defrosted it literally mixes up in about 5 minutes and you probably already have everything you need on hand to make it.  This meatloaf is delicious eaten that night as fall apart slices with a delicious sweet sauce on top, but it also makes awesome meatloaf sandwiches the next day.  Just reheat a piece in the microwave, stick a slice of cheese on it and put it between 2 pieces of bread.  My son even likes to take it reheated in a Thermos container to eat for lunch at school!!  If you don't like meatloaf, you should definitely give this recipe a try....it may be that you don't necessarily dislike meatloaf, you may just have never had "good" meatloaf before.  You might find yourself fighting over the last piece!

Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef (sometimes I use 1 1/2 lbs so we have more to go around...if you use more meat, just increase everything else slightly)
1 sleeve Ritz crackers plus 15 extra from another sleeve, crushed into fine crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp ketchup
onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper (I have never measured these.  I just kind of sprinkle on a generous amount of each and mush it in)

Sauce (This is definitely what MAKES the meatloaf!!!)

3/4 c ketchup
1/3 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp yellow mustard


Place the ground beef in a large bowl.

Add all the other ingredients into the bowl.

Mix well until all ingredients come together to form a large meat ball.  This is best done using your hands, but I guess if you are one of those people who doesn't like touching raw meat you could eventually get the same results using a fork.  I say just get over it and use your hands!!

Place into a loaf pan and press down making sure the top is flattened.  I actually try to press it in the center and make a slight indentation in the middle so after it bakes the sauce will stay on the top.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 mins.

Meanwhile throw all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl.  I think using a large glass measuring cup works best because you end up with one less dish.  Always a good thing!!  Set aside until meatloaf is finished baking.

After 45 mins this is what your meatloaf should look like.

Pour the sauce over the top and spread evenly.  My family likes their meatloaf very saucy!!

Bake another 15 mins.  Remove from oven, let rest 5 mins and cut into large slices for serving.

I almost always serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas.  They just go good together.  The meatloaf is generally so moist it doesn't hold together real well in slices until it sits overnight in the fridge.  This is actually my 10 year old's dinner plate...and yes he eats every bite of it.

The Misunderstood Meatloaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment