Navigation Bar

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Health and Hail!

Since last Sunday I have been battling the reoccurring flu-like symptoms that I came down with on my Pajama Day.  Over the past four days I have dealt with fever, chills, achiness and pain in every muscle and joint in my body, and head splitting migraines which would come and go periodically throughout the day.  Over 2 nights I never slept more than an hour at a time because I would either wake up super cold and pull all the covers on me or super hot from having all the covers on me and have to kick them off.  It was a vicious cycle!!  Yesterday morning was the breaking point...far worse than I felt on Pajama Day!  I woke up with a 102 degree fever, dizziness and a pain like I have never felt before.  After talking to a registered nurse from the 24 hour hotline provided by my health insurance I was told to contact my doctor because she suspected I had mastitis.  I'm not going to go into detail about what it is other than saying it is an extremely painful bacterial infection.  If you've had it, then I am very sorry.  If you haven't had it or don't know what it is, look it up on the internet and consider yourself lucky!  After only a few hours I was literally crying in pain like a baby...and I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance!  I would much rather give birth to all 4 of my children over again (okay, okay....I did technically have the epidural each time....but I do know what contractions in the beginning of labor feel like!!)  Luckily I was able to speak with my doctor and they called an antibiotic in for me.  I took 2 pills yesterday and 1 this morning and for the first time in 4 days I finally feel healthy.  The pain is still there, but is so minimal compared to yesterday that I can definitely deal with it.  I guess you can fight off the flu, but you can't fight off an infection.  It's amazing how quickly your health can fail you.  It's just one more of those things that people take for granted in life.  The one thing I have gained through this is having much more sympathy for those people who have to live with chronic or reoccurring pain on a daily basis.  I knew after taking the medication I would start feeling better...I can't imagine how hard it would be to not have that light at the end of the tunnel! 

Sorry all...I promised my brother there would be no photos of my mastitis.  I didn't cook anything for dinner so I have no pictorial representation of what I ate (my husband was nice enough to get some pasta and wings from Pizza Hut after staying home from work to take care of the kids for me).  I did, however, manage to drag myself off the couch once yesterday afternoon to snap some pictures of a crazy hail storm that came through our area.  One minute it was a nice upper 50 degree day...a little overcast, but still on the "warmer" side.  The next minute a cold front raged through and brought 2 minutes of continuous marble sized hail.  In the over 10 years I have been in Ohio I have yet to see hail like this.  In less than 30 seconds it left a layer of white on every flat surface, sent a river of water flooding down our cul-de-sac and pounded so loudly on the roof I'm surprised it didn't wake Aiden up from his nap.  Then, as quickly as it started, it stopped, the sun came out and it was beautiful again the rest of the evening.  Weird!

I have a lot to do today.  Over the past 4 days I really haven't done much cleaning and my house is a disaster.  I think my house looks like how I felt yesterday.  No pictures will be included of my messy home because frankly, it's just embarrassing!!  Now that I have the antibiotics I have no excuse not to straighten up.  I'm not even going to complain though.  I'd much rather be up and about cleaning than laying on the couch in pain!  Here's to health, hail and housework....hip hip hooray!
Our deck covered in hail.  Poor turtle!

These were not even the biggest ones...they were just the closest to the back door.

More hail on the back deck!

Our cul-de-sac covered in hail.  You can't see the "river" real well, but it was definitely flowing!


This was taken through the front window.  Sorry for the raindrops causing the blur.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! you didn't have to go in and see a doctor?! That's great that you were diagnosed and prescribed over the phone. I'm glad you are starting to feel better.
    Yeah Ohio's weather is nuts! Don't like it? Don't worry, I'll change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I actually didn't even talk to my doctor. I talked to her nurse who called spoke with the doctor and called the antibiotics in. It was pretty nice since I don't think I could have possibly driven in for an appointment. It probably helped that it was not my family doctor. I called the obgyn per the United Healthcare nurse. I am sure they are so busy they don't have time for smaller things. Birthing babies trumps mastitis!! After 2 days of anitbiotics I am back to normal and pain free. I will definitely finish the bottle of antibiotics. I don't want it to return.

    I don't mind Ohio weather so much. I like the variety. I just thought the hail was pretty crazy! Our car was parked in the driveway at the time. I'm hoping that Saturn no dent feature thing works!! I forgot to ask Andy if he found any dents yesterday.

    ReplyDelete