Navigation Bar

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Whole Wheat Blueberry Belgian Waffles and Oven Baked Bacon

After slaving away for 10 years, my husband's employer was nice enough to provide a catalog of interesting, but somewhat meaningless items to choose from as an exchange for a decade of his adult life...NICE!  We narrowed it down to 2 exciting selections.  First choice was a nice set of silverware.  Second choice was a "professional" Belgian waffle maker.  I was really pushing for Option A because I really didn't think we would use the waffle maker all that often.  We had a regular waffle maker that sat down in the basement collecting dust until I finally sold it in a garage sale.  My husband was pulling for Option B and I figured since it was his 10 years of service he should ultimately get the final say.  I guess silverware wasn't rewarding or manly enough (although waffles aren't really manly either).  So I silently conceded and let him place the order for the Belgian waffle maker.  I did probably roll my eyes a few times, but it was honestly so long ago I can't remember.  I wouldn't put it past myself though as I have been known to do this rather frequently!

I am happy to report that on rare occasions I am NOT right and proud to admit that in this one particular instance my husband was right.  Although we would have used the silverware MORE often (we do eat on a daily basis, but not necessarily Belgian waffles), we do use the waffle maker quite frequently.  I'd say we make them at least once a month.  We have even taken it on family camping trips and made a waffle making station for everyone.  I keep tossing around the idea of a Belgian waffle party...I also keep tossing around the idea of getting the neighbors on our cul-de-sac together.  Maybe a waffle bar/brunch thing would be more fun than the barbecue I was initially envisioning!  Hmmmm.....food for thought...no pun intended! 

In my opinion Belgian waffles are so much better than your standard waffles.  They are thick and yeasty and have deep wells for holding mounds of different delicious toppings and syrups.  Over the past few years of experimenting with different waffle recipes this one is hands down my favorite.  The use of whole wheat flour makes the waffle much more dense and filling.  Don't worry, it's still crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside, the wheat flour just gives it more of a hearty texture and helps it hold it's shape better against syrups without completely deflating the waffle, which has happened in the past with various different recipes.  For the first time ever I tried throwing some blueberries in with the batter (generally I just make plain waffles with various different fruit toppings, syrups, nuts, whipped cream, etc.).  I think I have just been worried about burning the fruit and ruining the waffle machine resulting in nasty waffles and an angry husband!  Brenna begged and begged for blueberries at the store this week and since they were reasonably priced I bought a pint, got over my fears and threw them in without reservations.  The results were delicious...especially topped with more fresh blueberries, drizzled with a little homemade blueberry syrup I made last fall and some whipped cream.  Tyler said they were "prize-winning" and wanted me to enter them in a waffle making contest...do they even have those?!?  I don't need a prize.  The waffles were prize enough!

I served them with scrambled eggs and oven fried bacon.  I love oven fried bacon!  I will never again cook my bacon in a frying pan.  I hate how I ALWAYS get burned with bacon grease...no matter what I do or try I will inevitably get hit with hot splattering animal fat.  Not many things in the kitchen cause you to simultaneously think "Ouch" and "Gross" at the same time!  I don't know how many countless shirts I have ruined with bacon grease...in fact the shirt I am wearing right now has 3 such stains!  One would think I could just designate one shirt as my "makin bacon" shirt, but I'm not disciplined enough to remember to put it on ever time I make it!  I hate the clean up of bacon grease...it gets all over the stove top and other surrounding things which just smears all around once you try to wipe it up. 

Oven fried bacon turns out perfect every time and leftovers (if any) reheat in the microwave beautifully.  It does have a slightly different taste than pan fried bacon, but not enough to outweigh the benefits of ease of cooking (the oven does all the work...no flipping required), no grease burns and easy cleanup.  I was initially skeptical due to the fear of starting a grease fire in my oven, but I'm happy to report that after months of cooking this way, I have yet to set the smoke detectors off, let alone actually ignite anything.  Guess this is a good thing since I don't have enough bacon or waffles to share with my local fire department.

Oven Fried Bacon

Place bacon slices in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet.  The foil makes for super easy cleanup.  Place the baking sheet in a COLD oven.  Set oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake 17 - 20 mins.  You really do need to watch the bacon carefully the last few minutes so it doesn't burn, but usually mine cooks the entire 20 mins.

Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate.  Bacon will continue to cook for another few mins on the plate.

Serve bacon.  That's it!!  Easy enough!!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Belgian Waffles

*This waffle batter is meant to sit overnight and be ready for baking in the morning.  Usually I will mix up the batter in the morning and let it sit out all day so it will be ready for dinner.  Either way works...plus it's never a WRONG time for waffles.  The best part is that the batter can be covered and refrigerated for a few days. My kids know that when I have leftover waffle batter from that night, then they get waffles the next morning too!

1/2 c lukewarm water
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp dry yeast (1 yeast packet is 2 1/4 tsp)
2 c milk, warmed
1/2 c unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 c whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda 
1 pint fresh blueberries
Blueberry syrup and whipped cream for serving

In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water.

Let stand 10 mins or until foamy.

Meanwhile, heat the milk for 90 seconds in the microwave and then set aside to cool.  In a second bowl, melt the butter for 45 seconds and then mix in the salt.  Set aside to cool.  Once the yeast is foamy, mix the milk, butter, salt and yeast mixture together.

Place the yeast mixture in a large bowl.  Add the whole wheat flour and mix until smooth.
 
Place waffle batter in a container or bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit for 8 hours.  I like putting it in a large pitcher because it makes the batter easier to pour.  You do need to leave a lot of room for expansion because the yeast in the batter will make it rise quite significantly as it sits all day. 

This is what it looks like after 8 hours.

In a small bowl, beat together the remaining ingredients.

Add it to the batter and mix well.  Occasionally, the batter will be too thick to pour.  If this happens, just thin it out with a little more milk. 

Blueberries...YUM!

Preheat the Belgian waffle maker.  I normally use setting #4, but for the blueberry ones, I found setting #3 was the perfect amount of time for cooking.  Place about 1 cup batter into the waffle maker and sprinkle on a handful of blueberries.

The finished waffle!  Wait....it gets better!!
Don't forget the homemade blueberry syrup and more blueberries.

Top with more fresh blueberries, drizzle with blueberry syrup and top with whipped cream.  Delicious!!

5 comments:

  1. I see you're smarter than I was when I started canning and you put the labels on the lid! BTW, if you ever want to get fancy, I like buying the labels for the centers of CDs (the clear part right around the hole) and printing my labels on them. It comes out far better than my handwriting and lets me get creative with my labels (as you'll see in a few weeks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oven is the only way we cook bacon also. Much crispier and that is the only way I'll eat it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also...the only way waffles are made in her home are with our belgian waffle maker and our "from scratch" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim-That's a cool idea! I'll have to check yours out for some inspiration. Although I'm looking forward to the homemade sausage products more than the canned goods. Don't get me wrong though...the canned goods will be much appreciated as well.
    Jen-Oven bacon is awesome. I can't believe it took me so long to figure out this method of cooking. I actually read about it first in a cookbook I borrowed from the library a few motnhs ago. I felt kind of silly not thinking of it myself, but then again I probably wouldn't have tried to mix bacon grease with a gas fire unless others before me tried it out first! I didn't know you had a Belgian waffle maker!! Do you use a yeast recipe too? Also, what do you put on top of yours since you don't eat sugar....sugar free syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg please adopt me! that looks heavenly!! I don't have a waffle maker but I will try the oven bacon method.

    ReplyDelete