Navigation Bar

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Segmenting Citrus Fruit

Maybe this is Cooking 101 to some of you who have done this before, but honestly the other night was the first time I had ever tried "segmenting" a citrus fruit.  I have come across a few recipes that require you to segment one type of citrus fruit or another, but I found a recipe for a salad that included adding in segmented pieces of red grapefruit.  Since grapefruit is so big I figured this would be a good opportunity to try my hand at the technique.  It is so much easier than I thought it would be.  I'm not really sure why I was so intimidated!!  I hate the pith of the citrus fruit and try to pick as much as possible off.  Sometimes I even go so far as to remove the clear skin from each individual slice only leaving the yummy inside part!  Segmenting is pretty much the same thing only a whole lot quicker.  This will also come in handy in the future when Ethan starts eating fruits and veggies.  I can give him citrus fruit easily without worrying about him choking.  Always a good thing!

Step 1: Place the whole citrus fruit on a cutting board.


Step 2: Cut a slice off the top and bottom so it lays flat on the cutting board.


Step 3: Cut slices of skin off the fruit in a rounded motion from top to bottom to remove the peel and pith.


Step 4: Cut at an angle against the inner membranes to remove the individual segments.  Ta Da...segmented fruit!  Easy!  Please excuse my first messy attempt.  I am sure you get better with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment