Navigation Bar

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blueberry French Toast Bake

Breakfast dinners are something my kids LOVE.  I think they would probably be happy to eat breakfast 14 times a week!  Most week days are pretty hectic and breakfast consists of the following choices: cold cereal, oatmeal or cheesy eggs and toast (plus a fruit regardless of which one they pick).  I am always amazed that every morning I have to repeat those options...they never change!  Having breakfast for dinner allows me the time to make something really delicious.

Belgian waffles are one of my children's favorites, but I like to change it up from time to time with some type of pancake or french toast.  Since we had soccer that night I figured a nice french toast bake would be a good choice because I could prep it in the morning and have it all ready to pop in the oven leaving me time to help get homework done, soccer gear together and water bottles filled.  I also love how you can buy bread from the "day old" selection of the grocery store cutting the cost of the dish in half.  I picked up an 8 count of Italian sweet buns on sale for only $.99 which was more than enough bread for the casserole!  As I was walking toward the dairy case to get some milk I noticed that the flavored coffee creamer was on sale AND had a $1 off coupon attached to it (SCORE) and it hit me that using that in lieu of the half and half I normally used might be a nice change...especially since the flavored creamer is already sweetened.  I eventually decided on the french vanilla flavor, but it really did take me a few minutes to make a final choice.  People walking past me were probably silently laughing at me as I hunched over the lower shelves of the dairy case mulling over my flavor choices...I'm sure I came across as one of the most indecisive people in the world...although most times this isn't far from the truth.  The deciding factor was that I was going to be using blueberries and the french vanilla just seemed to sound the best with the berry/pecan combo.  This recipe would be great with other combinations of fruit, nuts and creamer flavors though.  How about a Banana/Walnut/Irish Cream combo?  Or perhaps a Peach/Almond/Hazelnut.  Maybe no fruit with the Chocolate Carmel or Cinnabon flavor?  The possibilities are endless.

My kids ended up with clean plates.  I was very pleased with the results of my flavored creamer substitution.  Because the creamer was so sweet I was able to not only completely omit the sugar I normally put in the casserole, but also to cut down on the amount of sugar I put in the topping PLUS my kids didn't even ask to use any syrup!!  This would be great to make for a brunch or if you have overnight company.  Just let it soak overnight and you'll be ready for a breakfast to remember!!  It's so easy to throw together, yet looks impressive enough for people to think you made a big fuss to impress them!  I love recipes like that!! 

Blueberry French Toast Bake

Day Old Bread (anything will do: bread, rolls, buns...it doesn't matter)
5 eggs
1 1/4 c milk
1 1/4 c flavored coffee creamer
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter, melted
1/4 c brown sugar
1 small container blueberries
4 oz. cream cheese
chopped pecans
In a large bowl, tear up the bread into bite sized pieces and set aside.

It's so easy even a 2 year old can do it!  Aiden had fun tearing up his bun!  There aren't many things he can do, but destroying things is one of his expertise.

Please ignore the jammies....it was still early in the morning.  Nothing like cooking dinner in your PJs!

In a small bowl, beat the eggs together.

In another bowl, combine the milk, creamer, vanilla and cinnamon.  Then add the eggs and mix together well.

My assistant chef mixing.

The egg/milk mixture ready to be poured on the bread.

Pour onto the bread pieces and mix until the bread is saturated.  Cover and place in the refrigerator 8 hours (or overnight if you are prepping it for breakfast)

Remove the bread mixture from the refrigerator 30 mins before baking.  Pour half the bread mixture into a greased 13" x 9" baking dish.

Sprinkle on 1/2 the container of blueberries and then dot with the cream cheese.  I used fat free and it worked just fine!!

Cover with the remaining bread mixture and smooth over the blueberries and cream cheese.  Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 25 mins.

Remove from oven and sprinkle on the remaining blueberries.

In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and brown sugar.  I do this in a glass measuring cup with a spout because it makes it easier to pour!

Drizzle the butter/brown sugar mixture over the top of the casserole and sprinkle with the nuts.  Yes, only 1/2 of mine has nuts and I'll give you one guess as to why....my husband doesn't like pecans.  I told you he doesn't like anything!!

Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes.

I served the french toast bake with scrambled eggs, turkey sausage links and a fresh strawberry-banana mix.

Blueberry French Toast Bake.

2 comments: