Navigation Bar

Monday, April 11, 2011

Parmesan Breaded Chicken and Cheesy Puffed Potatoes

For the most part, my husband and I coexist in a pretty democratic relationship.  We generally agree on almost every decision we make...and on the rare occasion we do eventually just agree to peacefully disagree.  I will fully admit though that in the kitchen I am a complete and total Dictator!  I usually don't take my husband's taste...or lack there of...into consideration when planning dinner.  To his dismay, I expose him to all sorts of crazy experimentations and continue to put evil things like green peppers and onions into the dishes I make.  I am a believer that if you eat something enough times you can make yourself like anything.  My husband believes that I will never change his taste in food.  So our silent battle wages on...I keep hiding things he doesn't like in the food I prepare, he finds them and picks them out.  My husband and I are both extremely stubborn people, but I WILL win!!

I will admit though, that the rice/bean dish I made for Cuban night did have an awful lot of green pepper and onion in it, so I decided to have mercy on my poor husband who is quite possibly the most boring eater in the world.  It seems like every time I ask him if he likes a certain food or ingredient the answer is almost always not really, no or NO!  I'm not sure how I ended up with someone so far on the opposite end of the food spectrum.  I guess it's a good thing for me that he NEVER cooks...not so much for him.  Sorry for his luck. 

I decided that I would put my homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs to good use and make something I know he likes...oven baked Parmesan breaded chicken.  And in honor of my "meat and potatoes" hubby some cheesy puffed potatoes to go along with it.  He recently told me that he is tired of mashed potatoes (seriously?!?), so I went with this as a kind of meet in the middle potato dish.  Adding the egg to the potatoes really makes them nice and puffy...the kids loved them!  Even my husband finished his without any complaints!  Success!!

So in honor of my plain Jane (is their a male version of this saying...Plain Joe or something like that maybe?) husband, I present to you a non-ethnic and unexciting, yet very tasty dinner.  

Parmesan Breaded Chicken

1 - 2 lbs chicken breast
1 1/2 c bread crumbs
1/3 c panko bread crumbs
1/3 c Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 egg
2 tbsp milk

In a shallow bowl, combine both bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.

In a second shallow bowl, combine the egg and milk and lightly beat.

Dip the chicken breast in the egg mixture and then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.  Press firmly to coat well.  Place in a large greased baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 mins.

Cheesy Puffed Potatoes

6 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese + 1/4 c for topping
1/3 c milk
3 tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg


In a large pan of salted water, boil the potatoes about 20 mins until tender.  Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl.  Add the milk, butter and salt.  Using an electric hand mixer, beat until smooth.

Add the 1 c. cheese and mix well until cheese is blended in and slightly melted.

Add the egg and blend well.

Place in a greased 8.5" x 11" baking dish.  Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 mins.

Top with remaining 1/4 c cheese and return to oven fir an additional 5 mins.

Parmesan breaded chicken and Cheesy puffed potatoes.

I also served with a salad..no meal is complete without at least ONE thing my husband won't eat!! The Dictator rules!! =)

1 comment: