Navigation Bar

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Joys of Leftovers

Last night I decided I would repurpose some leftovers from the fancy schmancy banquet I attended for my husband's work Thursday evening.  The event caterer provided an amazing family style dinner consisting of seasoned cod filet, some type of breaded chicken breast and beef short ribs all accompanied by a sauteed vegetable medley of peppers, zucchini, carrots and onions.  Since my husband was not only an award recipient (I guess he really does work hard all day long), he was also on the event planning committee which gave him the added benefit of taking home some of the leftover food...which I was quite excited about!  I also used up the leftovers from the taco dinner I made for the kids and my wonderful friend who took on the monumental task of babysitting 75 percent of my children!! 

I think my impending trip back home to San Diego in June have put thoughts into my head of all the delicious Baja Mex food I have so been missing since my last visit (I'm not sure how I'm going to possibly visit enough eating establishments in the short time I'm there but, I'll just have to man up!)  I have been craving (no I am not pregnant, but since I have 4 kids a very legitimate guess) anything remotely "Mexican" and avocados so this is what I ended up with.  I can't really call it a quesadilla since I forgot to put the cheese inside it (no worries...I just melted it on the top), so I guess I'll call it a Mexican inspired chicken, refried bean and vegetable tortilla fold over.  Sure....we'll go with that!  Even without a proper name it was still very tasty!  I LOVE LEFTOVERS!!

I lightly spread one side of a tortilla with margarine.  Then, I layered 1/2 the tortilla with refried beans, diced chicken breast, cumin and garlic powder.  On the other 1/2, I threw on a mountain of sauteed vegetable medley.  Cooked over medium heat until lightly brown and crispy on the outside.  Then I folded it over and slid it onto the plate.  It was a monster!!!

Since I forgot to put the cheese inside it (oops) I just threw a handful on top and let it melt.  Then added diced tomatoes and lettuce and served a smashed up avocado on the side.

Close up of my monster "tortilla foldover".  Watch out or it just might eat you first!

No comments:

Post a Comment